Sunday, April 27, 2008

I finally met Hillary!

Last Friday (4/25/08) I was fortunate enough to attend another speech by Hillary Clinton, this time held at Assembly Hall in Bloomington. Although I had just defended my dissertation the day before and would have loved to have spent the day lazing around my apartment and soaking up the fact that I was finished with my Ph.D., I instead woke up early and arrived at Assembly Hall at 8:00 a.m. to volunteer for Hillary's campaign and the speech. This basically consisted of tearing pieces of paper in half, handing them out to attendees at the speech to fill out (it served as their "entry ticket" to the event), and explaining the security procedures for the event (metal detectors). I did this from about 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., then finally got to go inside and sit on the floor for the speech. Luckily I met two very cool girls who were just as motivated as I was to actually MEET Hillary that day. We all rushed up to the stage when the speech was over, and knowing this was probably my last opportunity to ever meet her, I was a little aggressive. I pushed through the rows of people until I was right up front. I promptly stuck my arm out, just hoping for a handshake, and much to my delight Hillary was signing autographs and talking to people rather than just moving quickly through the crowd shaking hands. I was able to get a picture with her, and I also told her that my husband and I had both early voted for her, and I told her that several members of my family were planning to do the same. She smiled that wonderful smile of hers and said, "Thank you so much! Tell them all that I said 'thank you'!" I told her thanks for everything she is doing for our country. It was extremely surreal and I am so thankful to have had that opportunity. The picture did not turn out as great as I would have liked - as you can see, the flash on my camera didn't go off and the lighting in Assembly Hall was not so kind to Hillary....but it is definitely an experience I'll never forget and a picture that I will always keep in a frame. :) Along with this post you can see the picture of Hillary and me, along with another picture of her from that day to prove she really looked quite wonderful!!! As for the other two girls I rushed up to the stage with, I lost them and I'm not quite sure if either of them met Hillary too, but I sure hope so.

No comments: