Sunday, September 13, 2009

Celebrities (in Indiana?!) and the latest 5k

I have a to-do list the size of Santa's "toys to make" list, so I'm going to try to make this quick! (I think I say that every time I post something on here...)

Yesterday I ran yet another 5k race - this time in Brownstown, Indiana, where I'd never been before. Karl decided to run this one too! I am very excited that he's going to start running these with me. :) Brownstown was just as I imagined....a small, quaint, typical Indiana town. Town square with the courthouse in the middle, you get the picture. When we took off from the starting line I thought to myself, "I might actually get first place out of all the females today!" The only two females in front of me were two pre-teen girls who appeared to take off way too fast. "They'll blast a fast time in their first mile and then I'll see them walking on the side of the road after that," I thought to myself. Well, I grossly underestimated the 12-year-old and 13-year-old in front of me. They placed first and second in times of 20:50 and 21:20, if my memory serves me correctly. I made sure to tell them both great job afterwards. Those times are really impressive, especially at such a young age! So...I ended up being the third overall female and got my best 5k time since I can remember...22:52. (The "official" time was 22:53 but I always start my watch right as I cross the line, so by my watch I was one second faster). I looked back through my 5k results over the past few years and this is the first time I've broken 23 minutes since at least 2006. I was really excited about that, and also glad that I pushed it in the last half mile, which was mostly uphill and my stomach felt like I was going to throw up. I placed first in my age group and got a nifty little "Brownstown MelonFest 5k" coffee mug as a prize. Karl did AWESOME in the race and finished in 20:30, placing 2nd in his age group! It was a great way to start the day, that's for sure. Our next race is September 29 at the Persimmon Festival in Mitchell, IN.

Our MelonFest awards.

After the race we took quick showers and headed to the IU vs. Western Michigan University football game. IU won and we were excited to see Tom Crean, IU head basketball coach, sitting below us as we left the stadium. Karl went up to him and said, "Coach Crean, would you take a picture with my wife?" He was very nice and said sure, and I was thrilled to meet the man who is going to get IU basketball back on the right track. :)

Coach Crean and me. I told him, "We just ordered our season basketball tickets!"

As if that wasn't cool enough, later that night we went to Nick's to meet up with some friends who were in town for the weekend and who did we see but Mitch Reinholt from the movie "American Teen"! Karl said, "Hey, it's Mitch from American Teen!" I said, "We've got to get a picture!!!" Karl used the same "would you mind taking a picture with my wife" line on Mitch and he was just about the sweetest boy we've ever met. He was more than happy to talk to us for a while and listen to me jabber on and on about the movie. (Note, if you haven't seen that movie yet, it is a must-see. ESPECIALLY if you grew up in a small town in Indiana. It's a documentary of five high school students from Warsaw, IN, in their senior year. Rent it. NOW. Go here to see the trailer and movie info.)

Karl and me with Mitch Reinholt from the movie "American Teen".

At that point I was feeling crazy for having met two "celebrities" in one night in the state of Indiana. Well, no sooner had I updated my Facebook status to say something along the lines of, "I met two celebrities in one day...in Indiana of all places!" and who walked into Nick's? MARK CUBAN. IU alum, billionaire, and owner of the Dallas Mavericks. Karl and I couldn't believe our eyes. Karl used the picture line for a third time and we got our pic taken with Mark Cuban, who appeared to be partying it up with a group of undergrads who looked to be barely 21 (kind of strange...but who ever said he was normal).

Karl and me with one of the most famous IU alums ever, Mark Cuban.

So...that was our Saturday! Today has been filled with hours and hours of work for me, and Karl has been a handyman around the house, planting flowers outside and washing our cars. Oh, and he made us an amazing dinner of tilapia, rice with sauteed mushrooms and onions, and steamed carrots. :)

Have a great week!

No comments: