Thursday, September 24, 2009

Random Thursday night thoughts

I need to do some coding for a research study I'm working on (that's the story of my life these days), but here are a few thoughts since I haven't written in quite a while!

1) We still love Anatolia. We ate at our favorite Bloomington restaurant last night for the first time in a few weeks and remembered how much we love it there. Karl had the mixed kebab and I had the stuffed cabbage, and neither disappointed. If you've never been there with us or if you're curious about the restaurant (it's Turkish food), visit their website and definitely visit on your next trip to Bloomington: Anatolia Website. We also found out that we have been dubbed the "Christmas Card Couple" amongst the waitstaff there. We sent them one of our silly California Christmas cards last year, in which we superimposed celebrities such as Paris Hilton, Heidi and Spencer Pratt, Stevie Nicks, etc. and they have it hanging up by the front door of the restaurant! We're working on our Christmas card idea for this year...and with any luck it will be just as random and funny as last year's card. Karl and I have different ideas on the card now and we need to work it out before we can actually make them. I think my idea is best for this year, and he has a different idea, which I think would be great for next year. We'll see what happens.

2) My favorite TV show, Greek, gets praise in Newsweek! As most of you know, I'm addicted to the show "Greek" on ABC Family. Recently Newsweek did an article on how inaccurately Hollywood depicts sororities, but it actually praised the show "Greek" for being as realistic about sororities as possible. Karl even likes the show (shhhh, don't tell him I told you!) Here's an excerpt from the article where it talks about Greek, and if you would like to read the entire article, click here:

Not every screenwriter takes the cheap shot. Patrick Sean Smith is the creator and executive producer of ABC Family's Greek, a sitcom that follows the stories of several characters in fraternities and sororities at an Ohio university. When Smith wrote the pilot, he skipped the misogynistic tropes of Sorority Row and went straight for the lightsome tone and bleeding-heart angst of John Hughes movies. "It seemed too easy to go with stereotypes—this felt like a real opportunity to be different," Smith says. "I kind of wanted to start with stereotypes, because I wanted it to be able to translate for people who didn't know the world. I wanted to say, 'Here are these characters you've seen a million times over—but here are the million layers underneath.'"

The result is both effervescent and intelligent, without incurring a toothache—the show's marketing icon is a red Solo cup, synonymous with a good time. The cast is diverse and and their narrative threads have depth: a gay brother struggles to come out to his house; a blonde sorority president fights to be taken seriously as a congressional intern. Even without a boost from chicken cutlets, the show is popular. Adult viewership rose 102 percent on last year's Season 2 premiere, and the network's ad sales rose 96 percent around the same time. (The third season returned Aug. 31.)

3) I'm running a half marathon. If my memory serves me correctly, this will be my fifth half marathon. I have been running so much lately, and after an 8.25 mile run at an 8:00 per mile pace recently, I thought, "I really need to do a half marathon." Well what do you know...the same weekend Karl and I were planning on going home to see my family there is also a half marathon taking place in Evansville. As soon as I found that out I registered for it and I'm ready to go. I did a 10 mile run this week at an average of an 8:08 per mile pace, so I feel pretty confident that I'll be fine to make it the extra 3.1 miles. I'll probably do a 12-miler next week just in case though. I have run the Evansville half before and it's a pretty good course...fairly flat.

4) Inglorious Basterds is really good. Karl and I hadn't been to a movie in a really long time, and last week we decided to go see Inglorious Basterds featuring Brad Pitt, Diane Kruger, B.J. Novak, etc. It was obviously about a serious subject matter (killing Nazis during WWII), but Quentin Tarantino was able to inject some humor into the movie as well via Brad Pitt and his fellow Nazi hunters. One thing is for sure, it really makes you dislike the Nazis!!! Of course I already disliked the Nazis greatly, but it's not exactly a group I think about every day. There were two actors that really stood out to me, the first being Melanie Laurent, who played the character "Shoshanna" (she was absolutely gorgeous and also a very talented actress), as well as Christoph Waltz, who played "Col. Hans Landa". He was an awful man, but again, a great actor for that role. Definitely check out that movie if you get a chance.

That's all for now. My days lately have consisted of working out in the early morning, working on teaching and research endeavors during the day, teaching my classes, and doing more work at home and/or relaxing with Karl in the evenings.

I hope everyone is doing well!

No comments: