Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday, Monday

I need to go to the grocery store and I need to keep unpacking boxes, but I'm watching this little event called the U.S. Open golf tournament and can't seem to tear myself away from it. I watch it every year and I know it sounds odd, but I LOVE watching golf on TV. I am not much of a golfer myself, but I think it's a pretty amazing sport to watch. I am definitely a Tiger Woods fan, but now that it's pretty certain that he isn't going to win, I find myself secretly pulling for his biggest rival, Phil Mickelson, to win. His wife has breast cancer and told him it would be nice to have a trophy in her hospital room, so of course that story pulls at the heartstrings and it's tough not to cheer for him. He's rockin' some pretty uncharacteristic pinstripe pants today...not his usual attire but perhaps a bit slimming? Phil has never been the most "fit" golfer on the course (although one of the announcers said something today like "That's a nod to his fitness level" and I had to laugh.) Whoops, he just hit it into the rough, I might want to stop cheering for him so that he'll win...it seems like whoever I'm cheering for usually loses.

This morning Karl and I got up early (5:30 a.m.) and drove to campus. He went to the SRSC and I got to do one of my very favorite Bloomington activities - go for a run around campus!!! I started at the SRSC and did two loops around campus - 10th Street to Indiana, Indiana to 3rd Street, 3rd Street to Jordan, and repeat. It came out to be five miles total (just checked it on www.mapmyrun.com). It was hot and muggy but I didn't mind because I was running on the best campus on earth and smelling all of those smells that become so familiar over time. The "book" scent wafting out of the library, the stale scent of the old houses on 10th Street and Indiana Avenue that make you think of an undergrad house party, the plethora of plant smells coming from the Arboretum... It's just wonderful. I didn't know it was supposed to thunderstorm today and luckily I finished my run just in time - no more than 10 minutes after I finished my run and went into the SRSC to lift weights, there was an absolute DOWNPOUR.

In other news, I realized this morning that I forgot my iPod in the rental car console, which I returned on Saturday morning. I put it there when I went to Best Buy on Friday because I didn't want it sitting out in broad daylight for someone to steal. Then I got home and saw the mail had arrived so I went to the mailbox when I got out of the car and completely forgot about the iPod. ARGHHHH I am sooooooo frustrated with myself that I did that. I have been beating myself up over it all day. I am not a forgetful person by any means, so to forget something as important as my iPod just drives me nuts. I went to the rental car place right after my workout this morning (I got there the minute they opened) and of course they couldn't find it anywhere and the car was no longer at that location. I was very annoyed with the fact that the manager didn't seem to think it was a big issue, and he left me to deal with the high school kid who washes the cars. This kid had me write my name and number on a notepad, which was then placed in a drawer, giving me 0% confidence that I'll ever see the iPod again. I just hate the idea of someone seeing it, slipping it in their pocket, and being able to listen to all of my music. I can't believe I was so absent-minded, but I guess in my own defense it's been one of the busiest weeks of my life, not to mention pretty stressful. Karl never uses his iPod anymore so I can use his, but it's the principle of the matter that bugs me. Clearly someone from ACE Rent a Car took my iPod, and that's not right. I'm a stickler for good customer service and I already wrote a complaint letter to the Bloomington ACE Rent a Car branch, as well as filling out a negative review for them on their customer service survey that I received over email today. I can only hope that karma comes back to strike the person who stole my iPod. I know this isn't an earth-shattering event, but I'll definitely never rent from that place again and hopefully no one reading this will either.

Okay, that's all for now! Time to go unpack some more boxes!!! (Not looking good for Phil anymore, by the way...)

No comments: