Thursday, December 3, 2009

Today, I bit the bullet

That's right, I bit the bullet and signed up for TWO half marathons taking place between now and July. I have been thinking about these two races all the time lately, so I finally decided to just register.

The first one is going to be the IU Mini Marathon in April. This is one I've wanted to run ever since it began, but I never have. So...I'm doing it.

The second one is one that I've written about on here before. It's the Napa to Sonoma Half Marathon, which starts in Napa, Calif. and ends in Sonoma, Calif. Karl has been itching to see the Crossfit Games in person for about the past year, and it just so happens that this race is on the same weekend, just a two hour drive away. We've got a rough draft of an itinerary in our heads for the trip so that we can fit in both events! This one takes place in July, so I'll have three months between the races.

I'll probably also run the Evansville Half again next October, so that will make three for me in 2010, assuming I don't get injured (let's knock on wood about that). My goal is to run these in under 1 hour and 40 minutes. Running it in that time would be a 7:37 overall per-mile pace. I've been doing my 10 milers at an average of 7:30 lately, so it's definitely do-able.

Also, I recently ordered a book titled The Runner's Rule Book on Amazon.com (written by a guy named Mark Remy) and I started reading some of it tonight. Here are a few of my favorite rules so far...

-Expand Your Definition of Fun - under this it says one such definition could be getting up at 5:30 a.m. for a 10 mile run. Check!

-Run Against Traffic. I get soooo frustrated when I see runners going in the same direction as traffic (i.e., running on the right side of the road in the U.S.) It is unsafe!!

-Running on the Beach is Overrated. I agree 100%. In fact, that might be my least favorite place to run.

-No Tweeting, Texting or Typing. I might be a wee bit addicted to my iPhone but so far I've resisted the urge to ever run with it or use any type of social media while I run (in fact, I've never even had the urge to take my phone on a run!) Running is a time to let your mind wander and not be bothered with emails, phone calls, texts, etc. Or music for that matter. I can't run with headphones...just can't do it.

-Nonrunners Don't Care That Much About Your Running. Haha, this is probably why no one ever comments on my blog posts about running! ;) I don't care, I want to write about it...so I will!!!

-Dogs Are Harmless, Except When They Aren't. Ha, this makes me think of all the runs I went on with my mom in high school when she would see a dog and jump behind me...leaving me to get bitten if the dog was indeed harmful! (Luckily none of them ever were...but I know she has had to mace a few dogs in her day because they were coming after her in a threatening manner).

-Don't Complain About the Race Entry Fee and Pay Your Way. I'm so glad this book addresses bandit running. As I've said before, I'm completely against it. If you don't like the entry fee, don't run the darn race. As the book says, "Staging a race costs real money. If you can't afford to pay your share, there are plenty of other roads for you to use on race day. Running is free. Racing is not."

-Write on Your Bib. I always write my time, pace, and place on my race numbers. Karl laughs at me. The book says to do it, so ha! ;)

-Line Up Where You Belong. Hey, out of shape old guy, you're not from Kenya. So don't stand at the front of the starting line!

-Before You Remove New Running Shoes From the Box, You Must Smell Them. Do I ever! I just got a new pair in the mail yesterday and you better believe my sniffer was in the soles as soon as possible!


That's all for tonight! Off to grade MORE papers! It's the story of my life these days.

No comments: