Thursday, July 10, 2008

A "paid photographer" :)

Hello all!

First, I am going to attempt to update this blog MUCH more regularly. Now that Karl and I are moving to California and starting new jobs, I feel like updating this might be one of the best ways that I can stay in touch with all of my friends back in the Midwest. So...try to visit it whenever you get a chance and hopefully I will stick to my word and make frequent updates. :) Karl is very good at updating his blog nearly every day (if you've never seen it, visit www.karleagleman.com). I guess I don't update this very often because I either think people will not be interested in what I have to say, or I think I'll offend people with what I have to say. Sometimes I can be quite opinionated, although I also believe others should be free to express their opinions as well. I've decided that it doesn't really matter if people aren't interested in what I have to say - if that's the case they can just choose not to read what I write...and if I offend people, I apologize in advance. I'll try not to do that.

So, back to the original intention for this post. As most of you know, I love taking pictures...whether it's point and click pictures of my friends when we go out, close-ups of flowers, or anything else, I feel like I want to document every experience I have. Recently one of my former professors at Indiana University, Dr. Miloch, asked if I would take some photos of her daughter, Maggie, that she could frame and give to family members. I was very flattered that she would even think of me for this, so I agreed. I had never shot "portraits" before, let alone of a one-year-old who loves to move around! It was a very interesting and fun experience. At first I think I just expected Maggie to sit still and smile for the pictures, but it became evident pretty quickly that one-year-olds do not do that. :) So I got creative and started laying on the grass to get close-ups of her as she was crawling, and I definitely had to have my eye behind the lens at all times in order to capture the moments when she smiled or looked at the camera (it turns out that my very favorite pictures of her were the ones where she was NOT looking at the camera!). We took the pictures on the grounds at Oliver Winery in Bloomington, IN. It's a place I am very familiar with since I worked there off-and-on for the past three years while completing my Ph.D. Karl came along and was a great assistant, and he also provided some goofy faces for Maggie while I tried to take her picture. It wasn't too tough to get her to smile though - she is one of the most well-mannered and happy babies I've ever been around!

I'm pleased to report that my first paid photography experience was a good one! We all had a lot of fun and I'm posting a few of the photos below to show off my work:




















No comments: