In the spirit of the ESPY Awards, which I am watching as I type this, I'm going to give out a few "across the country" awards of my own, based on our travels from the past week:
1) Prettiest State - California, hands down. Karl and I agreed on this as we drove into the state and were surrounded by enormous mountains, beautiful pine trees, and a babbling river. If you don't believe me, check out this picture:
2) Most Boring State - Despite what you may think, I am NOT going to award this to Kansas! No...the most boring state to us was WYOMING. It might be because we were tired when we drove through it, but it just seemed to drag on and on and on...
3) Best License Plate - This one goes to a Colorado license plate that read "CHICUBS". How sweet to see a fellow Cubs fan in Colorado who obviously loves the team enough that they were moved to get a vanity plate with the Cubs' name on it. A close runner-up in this category was a license plate from Utah that read, "LUVNAPA". Can't argue with that.
4) Best Road Food - Two words: SWEDISH FISH. Those little things are great for keeping yourself awake when you just don't think you can keep your eyes open anymore.
5) Most Overused Word on Billboards - "Cool". We saw billboard after billboard after billboard in Missouri with this adjective describing businesses. If you have to say your business is cool, chances are it's probably not.
6) Best Hotel Chain - While I can't claim to know about all highway-side hotel chains, I can say that we sampled three on this trip...Best Western, Comfort Inn, and Holiday Inn Express. The winner by a landslide is the HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS. They are actually very new and nice, the rooms are huge, the beds are super comfy, flat screen TV, free WiFi, and you can't beat the hot breakfast of eggs, bacon, biscuits, etc.
7) Best Radio Station - Definitely 95.1 in Wyoming. While it was a boring state, we stayed entertained by the Retro Night broadcasting on this station. I even called in to request a song ("The Final Countdown" by Europe) but we lost the station before we finished driving for the night so I'm not sure if it ever played or not. The DJ said he would play it though!
Okay, that's all for now! I'm anxious to get to our new place tomorrow...more updates to come once we've settled in. :)
2 comments:
Andrea,
I really have been enjoying your "travel" blogs and I'm thrilled you and Karl made it to California safely. I hope the moving in goes smoothly as well. You definitely have seen a lot of countryside and I can tell you've had fun, but I know that driving can get old quickly. We just got back from Florida Sunday morning at 6am. It ended up being a 24 trip since we stopped in Atlanta for about 6 innings of a Braves game! We drove straight through otherwise. Then...what does Dr. P want to do when we get home???...move his office across the hall so he can have a window! I don't blame him and the transition actually went much faster than we expected. However, we're both not fully recovered from vacation (ironic) so it was pretty tiring. OK...I'd better stop now before I get the award for longest blog comment ever! Keep in touch...Bloomington misses you two!
Thanks, Jen!! We miss Bloomington too, but we're having fun here. There are so many things to do and we're trying to take advantage of everything before we start working. I'm glad you had a nice time in Florida and made it home safely! :)
Post a Comment