Saturday, April 25, 2009

A day at the SF Museum of Modern Art

Okay, I've decided to write one of those "what we're up to these days" posts instead of an "Andrea is ready to take on the world" post like my recent rants on the Susan Boyle craze and narcissism in our society! :)

When Karl's brother Erik and our sister-in-law Erin were here, we stopped by the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art gift shop and saw a lot of cool stuff. Karl and I decided we should go back and see the actual museum, and today proved to be the perfect day to do it. It was a gorgeous, although slightly chilly day (San Francisco never seems to get very warm...), and we came across the most beautiful park on our walk from the BART (see photo above). We stopped there first to take some photos and look around, then proceeded on to our destination.

The museum was worth every bit of the $12.50 we each paid to enter. It contained three floors of art, ranging from paintings to sculptures to photography. We were delighted to find out that it was fine to take photos as long as we didn't use the flash (although one museum employee screamed at me, "NO FLASH!" I was offended at first until I realized she did it to absolutely every single person who had a camera). Instead of describing each piece of art to you (which wouldn't be very interesting, trust me....) I'm going to post a few of my favorite photos that I took at the museum below:

Inside the museum looking up.

This was one of Karl's favorite pieces.

I really enjoyed this display of the graphic design work from the 1972 Munich Olympics.

Minimalist piece.


This was my favorite photography display.

This was out on the sky deck and everywhere you walked inside of it, your reflection was all around. We went a little picture-crazy when we found this one. ;)


You can click on any of the photos above to see a higher-resolution image. Also, Karl and I both took a LOT of photos during the day. If you'd like to see more, please follow these links to my Facebook album and Karl's Facebook album. Don't worry, even if you're not a Facebook member you can still see them!

Since our days in California are numbered, we're going to try to do something every weekend to enjoy the time we have left here. We're anxious to get home to the Midwest, but also realize we need to take advantage of the things California offers. We don't have an exuberant amount of money to spend on trips all around the state, so most of what we do is going to be local. We've got to save every last dime for the down payment on our house. Here's a short list of some of our plans...I'll try to write a post after each one:
  • Spend a day in Monterey and check out some of the wineries in that area.
  • Go to at least one A's game ($2 ticket/$1 hotdog Wednesdays...you can't beat it!), but hopefully we'll have time for one or two more in addition to that one! (I loooove baseball season!)
  • Go up to Sonoma and/or Napa one more time.
  • Attend graduation at Saint Mary's...I've had at least 10 students say (and I quote), "You HAVE to come to graduation!" I'm really looking forward to it. A lot of my students this year were seniors so it'll be fun to see them graduate and meet their families.
That's all for now! Stay tuned...I know I'm a bit sporadic with my posting but I've been trying to be a little more consistent lately! :)

No comments: