Friday, April 17, 2009

I really love my students

I really don't know why, but for some reason I seem to know how to relate to college students. I am awful with little kids (I kind of freeze and don't really know what to say to them), and I'm equally as awful with high school kids (what do I talk about?! I get a little anxious...) But for some reason I can just talk to college students all day long. I guess it's a confirmation that I'm in the right profession. Also, it's not just that I feel like I can carry a conversation with them, but also that I enjoy conversing with them. I think their optimism is a little bit inspiring.

Most of you already know this by now, but Karl and I are moving back to Indiana this summer because I got a job back at IU. Last week we went home to look for houses (found one!) and to squeeze in a brief visit with family. I made the comment, "I could just stay here and never go back to California and I would be happy. Just have someone send me my furniture and clothes." Now I feel a little bit bad about saying that because today was one of those days where I realized there actually are some things I'll miss about California. Here they are in no particular order:

- Wineries
- My students
- Living so close to two MLB teams

Yep, that's about it. I always loved my students back in Indiana too, so it's not a matter of liking the Saint Mary's students more or anything like that. I just realized that I'll really miss them and the personal-ness (is that even a word??) between students and teachers here. For example, I walked out of a building today and waved at two of my former students who were standing there talking. One of them exclaimed, "Teach!" (kind of slang for "teacher") and gave me a big hug. Then the other one gave me a hug as well and we talked about their classes, plans after graduation, they were telling me how I HAD to go to the graduation ceremony and stop by their graduation tents, etc. "Wow!" I thought....I don't think I would have ever considered hugging a teacher during my undergraduate days, or even saying hi to them if I saw them on campus for that matter!!! (Would they recognize me?? That was always my biggest fear.) Teachers always seemed sort of scary and unapproachable to me during my undergrad. I think one of my biggest goals in teaching is to never have my students feel that way about me. I would much rather be seen as approachable and someone to whom they can turn for advice, resources, etc. than as a scary professor. I want to help students become the best that they can be in their area of study (and also become better people in general), and I don't think I could even come close to accomplishing that if I was unapproachable.

Today was a really great "teaching day" for me in both of my classes (which I could write and write about but I won't) and that little interaction that I just described topped it all off. I know that no matter where I go in my life/career, I'm always going to love my students, but I just felt like writing about it today.

Have a great weekend!!!

No comments: