Thursday, May 21, 2009

FLEETWOOD MAC!!!

Last night Karl and I went to see Fleetwood Mac in concert at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, CA. We bought these tickets way back in December or January when they went on sale, so I was pretty excited. It was my third time to see Fleetwood Mac in concert, and I've also seen Stevie Nicks solo twice.

Let me remind everyone who isn't very familiar with this band that its members are getting a little old. Mick Fleetwood will be 62 next month, John McVie is 63, Lindsey Buckingham is 59, and Stevie Nicks will be 61 in just five days. Despite their ages, these guys can still ROCK! They played for almost three straight hours, and performed not one, but TWO encores!

Here are some of my thoughts on the show:

-I couldn't believe how packed the Oracle Arena was - I did not see an empty seat in the entire place. I don't remember their concerts being sold out when I saw them twice in Chicago a few years ago.

-Karl was amazed at how well Lindsey Buckingham plays the guitar. He did a few solos and just killed it! He also has the energy of a 25-year-old and he hopped, kicked, and jumped across stage all night long.

-I really loved the fact that they told the story behind many of their songs before singing them. I wish I would have captured more of that on video. Especially the story Stevie told before singing "Gypsy". I never knew it, but that song is all about the late 1960s when she and Lindsey lived in the Bay Area and opened for artists like Santana, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, etc. "The Velvet Underground" line in the song refers to San Francisco.

-I loved watching Stevie twirl around with her tambourine and her long, sparkly ribbons. :)

-They did a wonderful job of making sure people got their money's worth! There were three different price points for the tickets, none of which were cheap!!! We opted for the middle price level since we couldn't afford the most expensive ones, and I will say every penny we spent on those tickets was well worth it. They played for three hours, talked to the audience throughout the night, and played every single song a big group of Fleetwood Mac fans would want to hear! Here's the playlist:

1. Monday Morning
2. The Chain
3. Dreams
4. I Know I'm Not Wrong
5. Gypsy
6. Go Insane
7. Rhiannon
8. Second Hand News
9. Tusk
10. Sara
11. Big Love
12. Landslide
13. Never Going Back Again
14. Storms
15. Say You Love Me
16. Gold Dust Woman
17. Oh Well
18. I'm So Afraid
19. Stand Back
20. Go Your Own Way
** (Encore #1)
21. World Turning
22. Don't Stop
** (Encore #2)
23. Silver Spring

They still have five more stops on their tour, which ends this month. If you live in Anaheim, Glendale, AZ, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, or San Diego, take it from me - you HAVE to go!!!

Karl and I took a lot of videos last night, so I'm going to post those below. If you aren't as big of a Fleetwood Mac fan as me and just want to watch a few of these, I would recommend "Second Hand News" and the beginning of "Gold Dust Woman". :) Please note that we were sitting up kind of high, so the quality of the videos isn't spectacular, but we wanted to be able to share the sounds with our family and friends who like the band just as much as we do (mainly my mom and my friend Erin!)

"Gypsy":



"Rhiannon":


"Second Hand News" with an intro from Lindsey (check out Stevie's kick at the end):


Beginning of "Gold Dust Woman":


Drum Solo by Mick Fleetwood (he's a hoot!):


Band Introductions by Mick Fleetwood, leading into "Don't Stop":


Beginning of the song "Silver Spring":


Band Goodbyes:


Let me know what you think! :)

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wunder bar! I thoroughly enjoyed watching the videos. I always get a kick out of watching Mick Fleetwood. It seem that FM still has the passion to entertain despite what people say about their "pain", energy, etc. It makes me want to fly out to CA to catch one of their last shows on this tour and reminds me of us seeing Stevie in St. Louis. Thank you for posting-you know I wish I had been there. Stevie-you rock and so do your high kicks:)

Jeane Geurin said...

Thanks for sharing, Andrea! What a way to start my day! Now I am going to clean my house while listening to Rumors. I do love Fleetwood Mac!!!