Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My American Idol theory

I haven't even watched tonight's American Idol finale, but I already know who won. Why? I was stupid and logged on to Facebook since I had some time to spare before Karl and I go to the Fleetwood Mac concert. Of course every single status from people in the Eastern and Central time zones revealed the winner to me...and I'm not pleased that Kris won, but also not surprised.

A little background info in case you aren't familiar with the two contestants: Adam Lambert is from California, by far the best singer of the two finalists (it's basically "no contest" at this point...he's that good) and he's also gay, although he's never come out and said it. I think the eyeliner gives it away. Kris Allen is a wholesome "boy next door" type from Arkansas who tries to sing like Jack Johnson.

Squeaky-clean Kris.

Edgy Adam.

Last night as I texted the word "vote" to vote for Adam Lambert over 100 times, I said this exact quote to Karl: "Kris is going to win because he's from the south and they have historically had more success with their candidates because the southerners get realllllly into this show. Californians are flakey. I know because I live here. They're not going to come out in droves voting for Adam Lambert because they'll forget. Plus, anyone who is remotely anti-gay is going to vote for Kris because they can't stand to see a gay man win...so he's got that going for him." And sure enough, it happened. I want to be very clear and say that Kris Allen did not win because of his talent. He won because our society's deeply held stereotypes, prejudices, and fears came out with their votes last night. The majority of people couldn't find it in themselves to vote for someone who is "different". If this contest was equal and based on talent alone, Kris Allen would have been ushered off of that stage weeks ago.

I read a really good article in Newsweek once about how American Idol is basically a societal reflection of the Republican Party. I believe this is true. I just found the article so be sure to check it out for yourself by clicking here.

Once again, I'm saddened by the American people. I know it's just American Idol and in the grand scheme of things it realllllly doesn't matter, but I think it shows a lot about what our society is willing to accept when we, as a whole, can't even vote for the guy who is a 100 times better singer and 100 times better entertainer (honestly, would anyone go see Kris in concert? Heck no, you'd fall asleep!) because he looks a little different, talks a little different, and wears eyeliner. I might be against people who don't wear deodorant, but that's where my prejudices end. I wish we could all accept each other no matter skin color, gender, sexual orientaton, or the types of clothes someone wears.

Now, I'm off to see the GREATEST band of all time, Fleetwood Mac! Goodbye!

No comments: