Here's a picture of Valeri back then...I am really surprised that NBC Sports hasn't pulled out any of this stuff from the archives to feature during its coverage. It would definitely add to the "human interest" aspect of the father/daughter story to have a little bit of footage of him back in the day.

And a video! Oh, how I miss Bart Connor as an announcer. Seriously....and that's Dick Enberg commentating with him.
Now check out this video of him on the parallel bars at the 1991 World Championships in Indianapolis (at what was then known as the "Hoosier Dome"). I had forgotten how different parallel bars routines used to be! I actually think I liked watching it better back then. Seriously, watch this. He does a really cool "pommel horse" move on the bars at the beginning of the routine, and the entire routine is much more fast-paced than the routines of today:
That's all for now! I could watch YouTube gymnastics clips all day long, but I've got work to do! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment