Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Oh, how I love Hillary...

Hopefully most of you saw Hillary Clinton's speech tonight at the Democratic National Convention. I was definitely tuned-in and must say that it felt soooo great to see Hillary up behind the podium again. I thought her speech was wonderful, and I am glad to FINALLY hear the news analysts saying the same thing. Now that she's not in the race it seems as though the media has decided to be nice to her, which is long overdue.

I must admit that I am still struggling a great deal with Obama's decision to ask Joe Biden to be his Vice Presidential running mate. In my mind it is not right and that position should have been offered to Hillary. It makes me like Obama even less than I did before, and until he made that decision I was beginning to believe he might do a decent job if elected. Now I am skeptical again. Based on the votes from the primaries, Hillary and Obama should be running together...no one else deserved that VP position and it is beyond me how he could pick someone other than her. Seeing her speech tonight is bittersweet because I love her so much and she showed everyone again tonight how capable she would be as our country's President. Unfortunately because so many people jumped on a bandwagon named "change", she won't get that opportunity. I'm bitter, and based on my volunteer experience with the campaign I truly believe the core reason a lot of people didn't like Hillary is because 1) she is a woman, and 2) the way she looks. I was so proud of her as I watched her speech tonight, yet it stirred up a lot of old feelings of anger about those in our society who do not give women the same respect as men simply because of their gender.

I've already written more than I intended. If you watched the CNN coverage after the speech and saw the African American woman delegate who spoke to the CNN reporter about her feelings on Hillary, all I have to say is "ditto" to everything she said.

That's all for tonight!

No comments: