Sunday, August 31, 2008

A great day at Muir Woods

Today Karl and I decided to take off on a little day trip to Muir Woods,which is about 45 minutes from our house, although it took us two hours to get there because of bad directions from Google Maps (we found a great route on the way home though and it was just 45 min!). In case you are unfamiliar with Muir Woods, it is part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area, and is a National Monument. It is a HUGE redwood forest, and very beautiful. It was quite crowded today - so crowded, in fact, that we had to park on the shoulder of the road about a half a mile from the actual entrance to the park! For about the first mile of our hike the other people there were getting to us a little bit...a lot of people talking quite loudly (Karl became the "Shhh" police...when in nature, it's nice to be quiet) and people who didn't share the trail as they should have. Luckily we were planning a longer hike than most, so after a mile the trails really thinned out and we were able to enjoy the next two miles in peace. We hiked until we reached a summit point where several trails met, and from there we saw gorgeous views of the Bay, including San Francisco and Oakland off in the distance! By the end of the day we had hiked approximately 5 to 6 miles and, as you can imagine, we took a LOT of pictures!

Below are just a few of the photos we took (note - if you click on any of the photos below you can see a much larger version of it...). To see the entire album, click here for our Kodak Gallery.


A very, very old redwood tree.


The entire hike was filled with beautiful scenery.

Karl and me once we reached the top of the trail.


Also, before I forget...I have decided what I am going to do about the election. I'm going to cast a write-in vote for Hillary Clinton. I am very, very excited about this!!! I know she won't come close to being elected based on write-ins, but out of principle and my personal beliefs, she is really the only person I can confidently vote for and I will do so. If you're interested in doing the same, visit this website for more information on the "Write Hillary In" movement! We DO have more than two choices, and shouldn't let the major parties' nominations restrict us in our voting.

No comments: