Sunday, September 21, 2008

Alaska's biggest political rally in the history of the state: The "Alaskan Women Reject Palin" Rally!

If the news that the largest political rally in the history of the state of Alaska was an Anti-Palin rally doesn't make you think twice about this woman, I've lost all hope for our country and the common sense of the people who live in it. Somehow this news has managed to lay low in the "lower 48" media, but I'm here to tell you all about it. I received an email from one of my friends with the story of the Alaska Women Reject Palin rally, which took place in Anchorage and was attended by 1400 anti-Palinists and 90 counter-demonstrators. The entire story can be read on this blog, which also contains a ton of photos from the event. I've sprinkled some of those photos throughout this post.

Here's my thought on this: if the citizens of this woman's own state don't even support her, how can we, who have never lived in a state ruled by this woman and are obviously much less familiar with her leadership style and capabilities, support her to possibly become the next Vice President (or President if McCain kicks the bucket) of our country?!?! The largest political rally in Alaska's history was an ANTI-PALIN rally!!! How can anyone possibly consider voting for this woman after knowing this??? I want to set one thing straight - I talk a lot of crap about Sarah Palin, which might make some wonder what my thoughts on John McCain are. To be quite honest, I don't have as much of a problem with him as I do with Palin. Would I ever vote for him? Probably not, but I do respect him for his service to our country and all that he endured during that time. Do I think he's fit to be the President? No.

Now, I know that a lot of staunch Republicans vote for this party because of the massive amounts of money that they have and want to keep. Voting for the Democrats almost ensures that these wealthy people will pay more in taxes. My take on this: stop being so darn greedy and realize that our country is in a dire state in which we have lower and middle class people losing their jobs, unable to afford healthcare, housing, and/or food for their families and it should be your MORAL OBLIGATION to quit thinking about yourself and your wealth, and pony up and pay higher taxes than everyone else because these people need help! News flash - not everyone in the United States can realistically become so wealthy. It's just not as easy as "working hard" and then making a lot of money. Several people working in fairly low-paying professions such as teaching, non-profit work, social work, community organizers, etc., all work EXTREMELY hard. These jobs don't pay nearly enough for the amount of work put into them, yet people continue to work in these areas because they care about others and realize that these professions are necessary in order for us to have a high functioning society. My message to the rich is this - if you want to keep on getting richer while the rest of the country continues to get poorer and poorer, be my guest. Just don't complain or whine when your mansion is broken into and all of your valuables are stolen because some family out there is too poor to continue living and they have no choice but to turn to a life of crime in order to survive.

I've gone on quite a rant here. My point is that some individuals in our society have become so self-centered that they forget about humanity and what it means to help one another. Voting for the Democrats is one step in the right direction for helping the less fortunate in our society.

One more thing - I'm also still boggled by how anyone could vote for Palin knowing that the woman thinks our country is just 4,000 years old. That's ludicrous. That fact alone makes me question her sanity.

Finally, if you are actually still reading this post of mine, please please please check out this article about the "white privilege" that exists in our country. It is extremely frustrating and angering to know that I live in a world where this "privilege" still exists. This article was written by one of the most notable anti-racist writers in the U.S. and sheds light on the extreme double-standards and hypocrisy that exist in our country. Trust me, if you are white, you probably don't realize the extent to which this exists. I know that I didn't until I read this article and it really made me thing about some things: http://www.redroom.com/blog/tim-wise/this-your-nation-white-privilege-updated

Hopefully that will provide some food for thought today. Tim Wise can certainly write much more eloquently than I could ever hope to, and that article will truly make anyone think about their own thoughts and actions.

No comments: