Today was a good day. I didn't think I was going to make it to campus in time to teach my first class because of an unforeseen traffic jam at the Caldecott Tunnel, but after sitting in traffic and not moving at all for 15 minutes, I successfully maneuvered a back route which took me up and then down an incredibly curvy (I mean, 15 mph max, that's how many curves this road had!) mountain road. I made it to campus with 30 minutes to spare. For a little more background on the tunnel, it is basically a tunnel that I have to drive through every day to get to and from the Saint Mary's campus. It cuts through the bottom of a mountain and takes four lanes of traffic going the same direction and forces them to create two lanes, then once you emerge from the tunnel there are once again four lanes.Anyway, I made it to campus on time and taught my undergraduate class. I'm still getting used to having a class size of just 14 students after being used to teaching 60-75 in a class at IU! It was an unusually cool day in Moraga, which set the scene for a PERFECT run at the end of the day. I had only planned to run about three miles, but the weather was so perfect that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to log a few more miles. I don't know when I'll be lucky enough to run on a mid-70s day again. So...I decided to run on the Lafayette-Moraga Trail, which I've written about on here before. The thing about this trail is that it isn't a loop...it basically stretches over seven miles long, but you have to run one way and then turn around and go back to where you started. So today I decided to take advantage of the fact that if I ran out four miles, I would then have absolutely no choice but to run back four more miles! I ended up having a wonderful eight mile run and it was completely unexpected. The only hard part was that the first four miles were all on a slight downhill, which meant that the last four were on a slight uphill. Although it was difficult, I know it's just going to make me stronger to end my run with a hard segment rather than starting with the hard part. So...great run today!
Now I'm going to go all "Karl style" and do a few bullet points of my observations/thoughts:
- My exercise-induced asthma has been doing a lot better lately - I'm not quite sure why, but I haven't had any bad asthma attacks while exercising in quite some time (knock on wood). Today around mile seven of my run I could feel it starting to come on, but since I only had one more mile to go I was able to make it through. My doctor gave me this air tube thing-a-ma-bob to use with my inhaler, and I think it is definitely working.
- Entourage is a really great TV show. If you've never seen it, get on Netflix pron
to and add it to your queue! Karl and I have now watched all four seasons that are out on DVD and we wish so much that season five was out already! We don't have HBO so we have to rely on DVDs. Some of our other favorite shows are Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. If you have the same taste in TV shows, definitely check out Entourage. It takes a few episodes to get into it, but after that you'll be hooked. Just a word of warning - you have to learn to take some of the immoral things they do with a grain of salt. It's entertainment, don't take it too seriously (and don't let the kids watch it either!) - I'm glad to finally see someone else say that Obama's choice to not pick Hillary as VP was a big mistake. Don't worry, I'm still voting for the guy and I'm behind him 100% at this point, but I'm afraid this little snafu could cost him the election. If that happens we'll all be flying our "Hillary in 2012" flags, right? Click on the link above to read an article on CNN.com about how this mistake has already cost him voters. Here is my favorite line from the article: "The one thing we know for sure -- the selection of Biden did the least to enhance any ticket since George H.W. Bush picked Dan Quayle back in 1988." I still don't understand Obama's VP decision...was it his pride? A strategic move? I'm guessing it was probably a combination of both, though he would never admit to the "pride" part. Right now they are saying it's a tie between Obama and McCain....which for the life of me I can't understand. We'll see what happens though. It's a long election season and there is surely more drama to come.
- Karl and I have the same spring break this year! We are so excited about this, and if all goes well we would like to take a road trip up to Oregon for about
six days. Neither of us have ever been to Oregon, so it should be a fun little adventure. We want to start our trip in Astoria, a small historic port town in the northeastern tip of the state. This is also where one of my all-time favorite movies, The Goonies, was filmed, and you'd better believe we'll be making a pit-stop by Mikey's house for a picture! haha We also want to spend a few days in Portland, the Willamette Valley wine country, and Eugene. It's still eight months away, but it's fun to start planning! :)
That's all, have a great week! I have a LOT on my plate this week with work so I'm not sure when I'll write again.
No comments:
Post a Comment