The day Cubs tickets go on sale is almost like a holiday in Chicago. At my job, none of us got ANY work done on that day, but we had a lot of fun screaming, "I got in!!!" when we would finally bust through the hated virtual waiting room. The next decision was always "What game do I buy tickets for?!?!" because once you bought tickets for one game you were pushed back into the virtual waiting room again and forced to wait to buy tickets for another game. My personal strategy in this situation was to have a list of games I wanted to attend in front of me and try to buy tickets to the ones that would most likely sell out the quickest (i.e. Cubs vs. Red Sox or Cubs vs. Yankees). I know that this exact same scenario plays out at workplaces all over the city. If anyone were to measure the productivity levels of Chicago businesses on that day, my guess is the percentages would linger near zero. No joke. Well...I take that back. Maybe it would be around 5% when you take into account that there are a chosen few who choose to follow the White Sox, for reasons unbeknownst to me. (haha, Dana I hope you're reading this!)
Yesterday was Cubs tickets day and Karl and I knew of one game we definitely will be able to attend this year. I have a friend getting married in Chicago in June, and it just so happens that
the Cubs are playing the Twins the very next day. Luckily for us, our friends Dana and Nick knew this and we had already asked them if they would like to go to the game too. As I drove to work I received a text from Nick around 8:20 a.m. (10:20 a.m. Chicago time) saying that he was able to buy the tickets and we were sitting in the bleachers. SUCCESS!!! (And it'll be Karl's first time in the bleachers, which are by far the most fun seats at Wrigley...see photo above). For whatever reason I still logged-on to the Cubs ticket site and sat in a virtual waiting room for an hour before I had to go teach my first class of the day. What was I actually going to do if I got in and was able to buy tickets? I have no clue. I just felt like being part of the ticket-buying craziness. :) Alas, I never made it in.I don't think people out here go nearly as crazy on ticket-buying day for the A's or the Giants...and based on my level of success at buying tickets to A's and Giants games a day or two before the game, I guess it's because they don't sell out nearly as often. I can't wait to see the Cubs in June and hopefully a few other times this summer as well!

1 comment:
Being that I work 1 block away from Comiskey, and having worked with many Cubs fans in the past, it was a little odd that nobody in my office was trying to get Cubs tickets that day. 100% productivity in my office!
-Dana
Post a Comment