Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What's with the celebrity weight obsession?

I just have to rant for a minute. Today I was working out and reading the latest US Weekly with Jessica Simpson and her *gasp* weight struggles on the cover of the magazine. Lately that's the only thing people have been talking about (besides Michael Phelps's bong incident and A-Rod's steroid admission). I am not even a Jessica Simpson fan and I don't think it's right that everyone is slamming her for gaining a few pounds. She still looks good, and she's still probably skinnier than most of us "real people".

So if the media has the right to criticize every celebrity for his/her weight, here are a few photos of other celebrities that I feel deserve a little bit more press time than Jessica Simpson:

1) JACK BLACK

This picture was published in the same US Weekly that ran the cover story on Jessica Simpson's weight. (Be sure to click on the picture to see a bigger & clearer image). Read the caption...it's talking about how great his wife looks after giving birth to their son. The caption fails to mention, however, that Jack Black is the one who looks pregnant!!! What bothers me is the extreme double-standard here...praising the wife for her speedy weight loss, but no mention at all of the overweight husband. Why can guys get away with it and women can't gain five pounds without the media jumping on them?

2) JENNIFER CONNELLY



All you have to do is watch the first five seconds of her walking onto David Letterman's stage to know something is wrong with this actress (and don't forget the camera adds 10 pounds)! Yet no one is talking about it...why? I'm so sick of seeing actresses like this who are pencil-thin and obviously have eating issues, yet they are glorified by the media and fans. I know a lot of people, and can really only say I know a handful (maybe 3...) whose metabolisms are so high that they can stay stick thin without trying. So I'm not buying it, Jennifer Connelly!

That's all for now. There was no real point to this post other than to point out how crazy the media is to criticize Jessica Simpson the way they have. I'm sick of reading about it. Why do we even care about celebrities' weight in the first place? "Because we do." Who knows...

1 comment:

Kay Eagleman said...

I have always thought there was a double standard. If these guys with "beer bellies" were female they would be looked at negatively but a guy gets away with it.