I'm glad we made that decision. For those of you unfamiliar with Saint Mary's and Gonzaga, they have a very heated rivalry, much like IU/Purdue back in Indiana. The SMC students sitting in the "Gael Force" section were rowdier than ever, and the players were clearly pumped up for the game as well. Saint Mary's kept it close, leading for most of the game, and with 5.3 seconds left they were down by one point. One of the Gonzaga players hit a free throw, then SMC player Carlin Hughes missed a last-second shot from way beyond the three-point mark and the Gaels lost by a measley two points. If you ask me, SMC should've won becuase they got some horrrrrible calls from the refs, and I'm not just saying that because I wanted them to win! They got some genuinely BAD calls and everyone in the stadium knew it.
It was a bad outcome for anyone who considers themself a Gaels fan, but it was also a great game and a lot of fun to see the SMC guys play so well despite not having Patty Mills on the floor. I took some pictures and a few videos at the end, so here you go (side note - if you click on any of the photos in this post you can see a bigger, higher-resolution image):
Below is a video of the "last second shot that wasn't":
No comments:
Post a Comment