Saturday, October 18, 2008

My thoughts for the night

After last night's craziness with the 4 a.m. shooting outside of our townhouse (see post below this one for details), Karl and I decided that today would be a great time to "get the heck out of dodge" so to speak, so we went to the Red Bull Soap Box Derby in San Francisco. The very best part about the day? Getting to meet up with an old acquaintance. Seriously, I did not realize how much I miss being around people, as in familiar people, until today. Long story short: one of my friends from Chicago, Emily, has a friend, Greg, who now lives in San Francisco. When I lived in Chicago and hung out with Emily I would often hang out with Greg as well. So...she put us in touch and I emailed him to let him know we'd be in town for the derby. Low and behold, he called me to tell me he was having a get-together with friends before the race and Karl and I were welcome to join them. So...we did! It was a great group of Northwestern grads so we all had the Big 10 connection going on. The derby was awesome and definitely much more than I expected. Karl wrote a great post about it earlier this evening so check it out.

After last night's shooting, combined with some other things such as not having close friends or family nearby and generally disliking some things about California, I realized today that I haven't been acting my usual positive and happy self as much lately and I really need to be conscious of that and not fall into the trap of being a "Negative Nellie". If there is one thing that drives me nuts it is negative people, and I certainly don't want to become one myself. Tonight I was listening to some music on my computer (mostly Queen) and I realized that since we have lived here I haven't danced! When we lived in Bloomington I would say that I turned on some Queen or Stevie Nicks at least once every night and danced around the living room to it. Tonight I did that for the first time in three months (Another One Bites the Dust and Don't Stop Me Now, both by Queen) and it was amazing how much it improved my state of mind! If you were at Jen Satterly's wedding, you know the "Another One Bites the Dust" dance that I'm talking about (see picture below, photo credit to Bob Finley)! haha It is pretty much a choreographed routine by now, I've danced to it so many times. I love that song. I am going to try to remember how much of a difference this made on my entire mindset so that I will start doing it again on a more regular basis. Isn't it funny how some little thing like dancing can completely revamp a person's mood?


Well, that's all for tonight. Nothing too exciting, just my thoughts. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

No comments: