Saturday, October 18, 2008

Tonight I got the 4 a.m. wakeup call...

Back in Bloomington on the weekends at 4 a.m., Karl and I would be woken up by the unruly college kids stumbling past our apartment on their way home from the bars. In Oakland, CA, we got a 4 a.m. wakeup call tonight from the police, who were standing outside our door. A woman was SHOT just yards from our place. Yes, I said SHOT. Killed. Murdered.

Karl and I are now sitting up in bed, wide awake because there's no way we can fall back asleep knowing something like this took place almost right at our front doorstep. Right now the police have our street blocked off from traffic from one cross street to the next, and it's pretty freaky to see. They hopped the fence to the apartments next door to talk to the people there, and I assume they're doing the same at all of the houses up and down the street.

The really crazy thing is, how did gunshots outside not even wake me up?!?! I am WAY too sound of a sleeper.

All I can say is get me outta this neighborhood, pronto!!! (Just 9 more months on our lease, whew. This also means I'm going to become addicted to the Oakland Crimespotting map again, which I stopped looking at for awhile because it just freaked me out.)

I'll post more info on this as it develops in the newspapers.

5 comments:

Thermocaster said...

In the meantime, I might suggest the purchase of a small firearm for protection's sake. That's what I'm doing here.

kmiloch said...

that is scary - when i was at fsu - the pizza people wouldn't deliver to my complex because of crime and one of those helicopters flew over with the spotlight at least twice a week. i lived there for a semester and summer session and then moved to what i thought was a bit better place - after three months there - a guy was shot on the street in front of the complex and another two streets over - it's insane. keep your wits about you and you'll make it. i know this will shock no one - but many people in texas carry firearms for just that reason. i'm not advocating one way or another on that though - hang in there -

Andrea said...

Wow that is very scary about your experiences at FSU also! I can't believe the pizza people wouldn't even deliver where you lived. The funny thing is, this isn't even considered one of the "bad" neighborhoods in Oakland... Karl is doing a good job of calming me down. I would probably be a lot more freaked out about the whole thing if it wasn't for him.

Erin said...

oh man, that is scary! but only 9 months...what does this mean? new apartment or new jobby job closer to home? i am glad you guys are ok! about 2 years ago a woman was murdered 3 doors down from us, so it really can happen anywhere. but then again, they knew each other which is very different than a random act of violence. stay safe. xoxo

Andrea said...

Clarification - it just means our lease will be up so we can move to a different neighborhood (which we had already decided we wanted to do even before this happened).

Also, the crazy thing is that this didn't even make it on the news or in the newspapers here, which just shows how common this type of crime is in Oakland and how desensitized people around here are to it. That's the really scary part to me!!!